How Can You Help Your Student?
As a family member, we know how invested you are in the success of your student. While there are several ways to connect your student to Career and Professional Development, we suggest starting with the following:
1. Career Coaches: Encourage your student to make an appointment with their Career Coach. Each Hilltopper will work with a designated Career Coach, assigned to a specific school, which enables our team of professionals to better understand the intricacies and needs of students in a specific major. As your student meets with their Career Coach, we will be better understand their personal and professional goals to help tailor our services, which includes major and career exploration, internship exploration and searching, resume/cover letter development, interview preparation, and much more. Along with the Success Coaches and Faculty, we work as a team to meet your student where they are.
2. Handshake: Handshake is St. Edward’s University’s job and internship posting database for all students and alumni, with a variety of on- and off-campus positions. Setting up a Handshake account takes mere minutes before your student can begin searching for jobs and internships in the database.
3. Student Employment: We offer a variety of on-campus student employment opportunities for all students, as well as off-campus work study opportunities with community partners for work-study eligible students. All available on-campus and community federal work-study opportunities can be found through Handshake. At the beginning of each semester, our office hosts a part-time job fair featuring on- and off-campus job opportunities.
4. Career Fairs: Career and Professional Development offers a variety of networking and recruiting events for students of all majors and programs of study. Encourage your student to view our Events Calendar and register for upcoming fairs.
5. Career Information Sessions: We hold several information sessions throughout the year covering a variety of topics, such as Choosing a Major, Resume Preparation, Interview Preparation, Career Planning, Job Search Strategies, and more. Encourage your student to view our Events Calendar and register for upcoming events.