Foundation Communities is a local, homegrown nonprofit. Founded in 1990, we provide affordable, attractive homes and free on-site support services for thousands of families, veterans, seniors, and individuals with disabilities. We offer an innovative, proven model that empowers our residents and neighbors to achieve educational success, financial stability, and healthier lifestyles. We own and operate 24 communities all over Austin and in North Texas.
The desk clerk is responsible for the daily operations at supportive housing properties during evenings and weekends. This includes interacting with residents and guests, upholding community policies, and maintaining the safety of the community. The desk clerk represents Foundation Communities and is responsible for the property while on duty.
Desk clerks work consistent schedules in 8 hour shifts. We are hiring primarily part-time and possible full-time positions (32 hours). Applicants must be available for at least one weekend shift. Desk Clerks also have the ability to pick up extra hours when available.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Be familiar with identity of all residents and respond to resident problems and emergencies as appropriate.
- Fulfill office functions: answer phones, respond to property inquiries, respond to emails, etc.
- Interact with residents to communicate rules as outlined in the lease and community policies
- Respond to emergency situations and contact appropriate authorities as needed
- Prepare documentation such as incident reports and shift reports as needed
- Monitor sign-in/sign-out process and verify photo identification for all guests
- Input work orders as needed for unit repairs and other general needs
- Maintain and foster professional relationships with all levels of staff, volunteers, and residents
- Monitor video surveillance system and report unusual activity
- Ensure confidentiality of all resident records and information
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Provide desk coverage at multiple SRO properties of Foundation Communities as requested (if available)
Qualifications and Skills
- Must be dependable, reliable, and punctual
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and human relation skills
- Ability to exercise good judgment and self-control.
- A demonstrated ability to deal with residents, site personnel, volunteers, peers, and supervisors.
- Enthusiasm, good attitude, trustworthiness, personal integrity and honesty.
- Must be able to use a computer and cell phone
- High school diploma or GED is required
- Good comprehension and communication skills, with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through verbal communication. Must speak and write in English. Bilingual a plus.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
• Must be able to sit at front desk, using a computer for hours at a time
• Must be able to perform rounds on property several times during shifts
• Must be able to address safety concerns, including cleaning up spills and messes if needed.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks:
- Compensation: $14.30 to $15.00 per hour
- For Full Time Staff an excellent benefits package including employer paid health benefits, 401(k) investment opportunity, Employee Assistance Program, paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
- For Part Time Permanent Staff:
- Paid Sick Leave: After 30 hours of work, you earn 1 hour of paid sick leave, up to 68 hours, to use for illness and medical or dental appointments for yourself or dependent family members.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): This benefit provides you and household members with confidential 24/7 phone support and referral for personal issues, including mental health, stress, legal and family problems. You may also meet with a counselor 3X per year for each presenting issue.
- Retirement Plan: After 12 months of employment and 1000 hours of service (& age 21), you become eligible for our 401(k)-retirement plan. Features a 2% match if you contribute and a 3% safe harbor contribution for all eligible participants. This is like getting a 5% raise!
- Holiday Pay: After 12 months of employment, you receive pro-rated holiday pay if scheduled to work on a Foundation Communities observed holiday.
- Holiday Bonus: After 12 months of employment you receive a $100 holiday bonus if employed during the holiday season.
- Housing: After 6 months of employment, if you work a minimum of 20 hours per week, you may be eligible to reside at a Foundation Communities property and receive a 20% discount off the unit’s market rate at move-in.
Foundation Communities is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation & gender identity.