About Phoenix Tailings
Each year the mining industry discards over 200 billion tons of waste (tailings) and produces more than 7% of the world’s carbon emissions. Phoenix Tailings is on a mission to be the world’s first clean mining and metals production company. By eliminating this harmful waste from the environment, we can sustainably create valuable new materials.
We started with the humble beginnings of a few friends in a backyard, thinking of how they can fix this broken system of metals production. Now, Phoenix Tailings has become one of the top sustainability startups in the world. A Techstars Boston 2020 company with funding from the US Department of Energy and National Science Foundation, Phoenix has demonstrated early success in our clean mining mission.
We still have a long way to go to achieve this mission. However, it’s our belief that together, the right people can overcome any obstacle and change the world.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who has the desire to better the world, to resolve environmental problems with a global impact, and you are excited about solving the problems and challenges that come with building a startup, this is the place for you.
- You are only crazy if you are wrong
- It’s ok to be wrong
- Lead with Compassion
- Be Resourceful
What we do:
At Phoenix, we build novel chemical processing techniques and technologies that are on the forefront of extracting critical materials that were previously trapped in tailings, solving the waste remediation process of the mining industry, and revolutionizing the mining industry with our zero waste mining solutions.
Who we are looking for:
Phoenix is a fast-paced startup and we are looking for enthusiastic-technical minded people with a hands-on attitude to join us in our engineering effort. In this position, you’ll be working cross-functionally with the entire engineering team that’s composed of material, metal, chemical, and R&D engineers and scientists. You will be involved in several different projects that span across the entirety of Phoenix’s technology stack.
Even though this role reports to the CEO, you will be a trusted resource for all team members.
What you will do:
- Work closely with the Senior Engineering team to propose, design, and manage projects aimed to aid in process development and optimization
- Research and development for improved rare earth chemistry formulation and electrolysis/electrochemistry performance
- Aid Senior Engineering Team with the following:
- Preparation of laboratory-scale experiments and resulting analysis
- Detailed documentation of process methods and results
- Execute SOPs and protocols for laboratory and small scale reactors
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized laboratory environment
- Interpret and present results to team leadership
What you have:
- Current student at an accredited university pursuing an undergraduate degree or a graduate degree in a technical field, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Metallurgy preferred
- Familiarity with common electrochemical techniques (i.e. EIS, CV, etc) and battery testing (constant current, constant voltage, constant power) is a plus
- Coursework or research experience in a chemical laboratory, specifically pertaining to fuel cells, electrochemistry, or clean room experience
- Knowledge of metallic materials and inorganic chemistry
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, flexible start-up environment
- Strong technical and communication skills
- Organized and detail-oriented
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy. This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, exciting, and fast-paced environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).