About Phoenix Tailings
Each year the mining industry discards over 200 billion tons of waste (tailings) and produces more than 7% of the world’s carbon emissions. Phoenix Tailings is on a mission to be the world’s first clean mining and metals production company, eliminating this harmful waste from the environment while sustainably creating valuable materials.
Starting with the humble beginnings of a few friends in a backyard thinking of how they can fix this broken system of metals production, Phoenix Tailings has become one of the top sustainability startups in the world. A Techstars Boston 2020 company with funding from the US Department of Energy, National Science Foundation, Phoenix Tailings has demonstrated the early success of its clean mining mission.
We have a long way to go, but it’s the belief that together, the right people can overcome any obstacle and change the world that is the center of Phoenix Tailings. We pride ourselves on our relentless pursuit of a better future.
Why Phoenix Tailings
At Phoenix, we believe that nothing great is ever accomplished alone or without the passion of people who push and motivate one another. If you are someone who shares our relentless pursuit of a better future, passion for innovation, and are excited about working with some of the top innovators in the world, then this is the place for you.
Our Values: Ask us about them!
You are only crazy if you are wrong
It’s ok to be wrong
Lead with Compassion
What we do
At Phoenix, we build novel chemical processing techniques and technologies that are at the forefront of extracting critical materials that were previously trapped in tailings, solving the waste remediation process of the mining industry, and revolutionizing the mining industry with our zero waste mining solutions.
Who we are looking for:
Phoenix is a fast-paced startup and we are looking for enthusiastic-technical minded people with a hands-on attitude to join us in our engineering effort. In this position, you’ll be working cross-functionally with the entire engineering team that’s composed of material, metal, chemical, and R&D engineers and scientists. You will be involved in several different projects that span across the entirety of Phoenix’s technology stack.
Even though this role reports to the CEO, you will be a trusted resource for all team members.
What you will do:
- Design and fabricate prototypes and fixtures for process experiments
- Conduct laboratory-scale experiments and iterate on designs
- Clearly report results under the guidance of the R&D team
- Detailed documentation of designs, bill of materials, process methods, and results
- Communicate with vendors and engineers to source materials for fabrication
- Assist with design and fabrication of prototype and equipment for scale-up capabilities
- Assist with integration, repairs, and technical improvements of equipment
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized working environment
- Execute SOPs and protocols for laboratory and small scale reactors
What you have:
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and ideas effectively
- Ability to work independently on projects with minimal supervision
- Excited about new learning opportunities and tackling challenges that come up
- Current student at an accredited university pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Coursework or experience with rapid prototyping tools
- Coursework or research experience in a chemical laboratory preferred
- Knowledge and interest in sustainability, especially in materials, metals, and mining preferred
At Phoenix Tailings, we have an open culture that values learning, and we are looking to grow the team with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of sustainable mining. We offer an attractive compensation package with benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, and an unlimited vacation policy. This is an opportunity to work in an innovative, exciting, and fast-paced environment focused on revolutionizing how the world’s primary resources are created.
Phoenix Tailings, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at all levels. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information, or any other applicable protected characteristics, and these characteristics will not be a factor for consideration of any work-related decisions (including but not limited to hiring, firing, compensation, and discipline).