SEU Work-Study: The Museum of Human Achievement Fellowship
Posting: MoHA Champion
Positions Available: 2 for fall semester (with an option to extend to full year)
(position will be posted again for spring semester)
Pay Range: $9.75-$10.75, commensurate with experience
About The Museum of Human Achievement
The Museum of Human Achievement (http://themuseumofhumanachievement.com/) cultivates forward thinking new work, community, and vibe. We provide radically affordable arts space to support artists and audiences in the creation of new ideas. We value experimentation, accessibility, respect, artist support, collaboration, vibe and critical thought.
Founded in Austin, Texas, in 2012, MoHA is a multi-disciplinary art space and organization that supports creative thought and expression in all forms and mediums. MoHA cultivates space where artists and audiences can meet in the spirit of social experimentation. By presenting unconventional and boundary-crossing works, supporting itinerant artists, and serving as an inclusive meeting ground for diverse individuals and numerous partner organizations, MoHA encourages community building, the open exchange of ideas, and creative expression.
To make sure we serve our community equitably our programs are led by a guiding body of 35 in leadership of which a majority are from a ethnic minority and a diversity of sexual and gender identities. This leadership guides all work we do which focuses upon:
Accessibility/Diversity in digital arts
- An annual festival which celebrates, amplifies, and supports the unique and underrepresented in indie video games and play (Fantastic Arcade)
- VR, AR, and net.art exhibitions, performance, and education; emphasizing diversity among artists utilizing emerging technology (IRL)
Residencies and Cultural Exchange
- An international artist residency focused on exchange between Texas and Mexico (Unlisted Projects)
- Accessible online gallery and artist residency providing monthly stipends (My Homepage)
Supporting and Commissioning arts and music
- 24/7 public art gallery which champions and supports diverse artists (Cage Match)
- Mobile art gallery and store for local makers focused on uplifting women artists, queer artists, and artists of color (The Mall)
Mobile touring performance and platforms
- A Mobile Performance Center (Peanut)
- drive-in movies in partnership with neighborhood associations (CoHA)
The culmination of these efforts results in providing more than 100 free or affordable programs annually, and since our founding we have partnered with 804 organizations to present new work, presented 4500+ artists, brought in 170k visitors, and grown a 10k person membership base. We also lease studios to 35 artists and 12 organizations at well below market rates and fiscally sponsor 42 organizations as a hub for the creation of innovative and groundbreaking new work.
Assistant to Executive Director and other MoHA leadership
- Community management and outreach.
- Non-profit administration and assistance.
- Help with installation of art works for exhibitions and tech set-up for events.
- General upkeep of space and organization of production supplies and tools.
Experience and interest in live production, organizational skills, art preparator or installation skills.
- Most elements of the fellowship will be completed remotely as needed in response to COVID-19 for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Availability for occasional evening or weekend hours in addition to weekday office hours, scheduled with advanced notice.
- Availability between Fall & Spring semesters (excluding the week between Christmas & New Year’s) is a big plus!
- Access to reliable transportation helpful.
- 10-15 hours per week typical.
- With our fellowship program, we design the final fellowship description and job title in collaboration with each individual. This fellowship description and title is shaped in a way that is intended to be an ideal resource for future life or career pursuits of each individual
- Free entry to all MoHA shows, events, and workshops (in a post-COVID future)
- 24 hour access to tools and space
- Letter of recommendation.