SEU Work-Study: The Museum of Human Achievement Fellowship
Posting: The Mall Fellowship
Positions Available: 1 for spring semester
Pay Range: $9.75-$10.75, commensurate with experience
About The Museum of Human Achievement (where the Mall is located)
The Museum of Human Achievement (http://themuseumofhumanachievement.com/) cultivates forward thinking new work, community, and vibe. We provide radically affordable arts space to support artists and audiences in the creation of new ideas. We value experimentation, accessibility, respect, artist support, collaboration, vibe and critical thought.
Founded in Austin, Texas, in 2012, MoHA is a multi-disciplinary art space and organization that supports creative thought and expression in all forms and mediums. MoHA cultivates space where artists and audiences can meet in the spirit of social experimentation. By presenting unconventional and boundary-crossing works, supporting itinerant artists, and serving as an inclusive meeting ground for diverse individuals and numerous partner organizations, MoHA encourages community building, the open exchange of ideas, and creative expression.
To make sure we serve our community equitably our programs are led by a guiding body of 35 in leadership of which a majority are from a ethnic minority and a diversity of sexual and gender identities. This leadership guides all work we do which focuses upon:
Accessibility/Diversity in digital arts
- An annual festival which celebrates, amplifies, and supports the unique and underrepresented in indie video games and play (Fantastic Arcade)
- VR, AR, and net.art exhibitions, performance, and education; emphasizing diversity among artists utilizing emerging technology (IRL)
Residencies and Cultural Exchange
- An international artist residency focused on exchange between Texas and Mexico (Unlisted Projects)
- Accessible online gallery and artist residency providing monthly stipends (My Homepage)
Supporting and Commissioning arts and music
- 24/7 public art gallery which champions and supports diverse artists (Cage Match)
- Mobile art gallery and store for local makers focused on uplifting women artists, queer artists, and artists of color (The Mall)
Mobile touring performance and platforms
- A Mobile Performance Center (Peanut)
- drive-in movies in partnership with neighborhood associations (CoHA)
The culmination of these efforts results in providing more than 100 free or affordable programs annually, and since our founding we have partnered with 804 organizations to present new work, presented 4500+ artists, brought in 170k visitors, and grown a 10k person membership base. We also lease studios to 35 artists and 12 organizations at well below market rates and fiscally sponsor 42 organizations as a hub for the creation of innovative and groundbreaking new work.
About The Mall
The Mall is a small art gallery in Austin, TX. We help artists make a living, with a particular interest in uplifting women artists, queer artists, and artists of color whose voices are more often marginalized, and to create an exciting and beautiful platform and context for their work. A majority of our gallery features works from Austin artists, and is exemplary of the unique culture of Austin. Beyond a space for exhibition, The Mall also actively facilitates education and community via four workshops annually, and the creation of new art via commissions of editioned work.
Dates and Time Commitment
Applications accepted until positions are filled.
Internships to begin Jan 2021 and end June 2021 with the option to continue through the spring or for the full year. Time commitment is 6-10 hours per week.
- Assist with visual merchandising and displays, guided by Mall Workers Union Local 42069 (Stephanie Page & Zac Traeger)
- Research potential new artists to stock, focusing on artists of color, women & queer artists
- Visit other Austin area shops to research visual display ideas
- Help maintain a fresh and compelling social media presence
- Learn and share artist background/process/stories with Mall visitors
- Assist with Mall e-commerce order fulfillment
- Assist with inventory management
- May assist with correspondence with Mall artists/vendors
- A strong interest in building skills in art, design and retail environments.
- A desire to build curatorial sensibilities in the fields of fashion, small sculpture, editioned goods, jewelry, music, small press, and other artist made products
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with OR desire to learn platforms and applications including Shopify, Shipstation, Google Sheets, and Photoshop
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
About The Museum of Human Achievement
The Museum of Human Achievement cultivates forward thinking new work, community, and vibe. We provide radically affordable arts space to support artists and audiences in the creation of new ideas.