Process Sciences Co-Op – Spring 2022
Location: Cambridge, MA
Shift: Monday-Friday, Full Time
- This is a 5-6 month, Full-Time Co-Op opportunity
- Spring Co-Ops will start in January 2022 and end in June 2022; Fall Co-Ops will start in July 2022 and end in December 2022.
- All Co-Op roles are intended to be on-site; this is not a remote position.
- Your school should have a defined co-op program to participate.
- Some relocation assistance may be provided, as needed.
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
Viral Vector Services (VVS), part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, is a dynamic gene therapy contract development and manufacturing organization that is looking for leaders to bring the highest quality processes, products and testing to our clients. The VVS Global Engineering team is a cross functional engineering group supporting over $150 Million in capital investments across locations in Massachusetts and Florida. Based out of Cambridge, MA, the Global Engineering group works to establish engineering standards/systems for the company and introduce new manufacturing technology in addition to capital project execution.
How will you make an impact?
You will support the late stage process development, process establishment, and process characterization for viral vector-based therapeutics for cell and gene therapies. This position is laboratory based and requires the candidate to be eager to learn and be hands-on. You will function with direct supervision from Process Sciences (PS) scientists and will be actively engaged in development and transfer of cell and gene therapy products.
- Participate in PS teams for development, manufacturing, and testing of viral vector therapies. Includes authoring of upstream or downstream plan documentation and associated production and/or testing protocols.
- Execute PS process establishment and process characterization runs, ensuring documentation is followed and completed real time.
- Execute cell culture and downstream laboratory work and/or analytical testing while maintaining good laboratory practice.
- Maintain an accurate schedule/project plan of assigned PS lab work and deliverables.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS:
- Completed at least 3 semesters of undergraduate studies and had at least on laboratory course in any of the following: Chemical Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, or Biochemistry. Laboratory experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills; written and oral. Ability to be hands-on and a desire to learn
- Ability to function in a fast-paced dynamic team environment and balance prioritize multiple projects
While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
- Ability to function in a rapidly changing environment & handle multiple priorities.
- Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Requires overtime to work evenings, weekends or holidays, as required to meet project timelines.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Note: This job description is not all-inclusive. Additional duties may be performed, as assigned. It acts as a guideline and is subject to change over time.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 80,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.