Thomas M. Keel Scholarship in Public Policy and Finance
Applications are now being accepted for the Thomas M. Keel Scholarship in Public Policy and Finance. One or more scholarships may be awarded for tuition for a student from a Central Texas college or university. The Thomas M. Keel Scholarship Fund was established in 2004 in honor of decades of dedicated service to Texas in the public finance area. A former Director of the Legislative Budget Board (1967-1982), Vice Chancellor for UT System (1983-1990), and former faculty member of the LBJ School of Public Affairs (1990-2004), Tom Keel for more than 50 years demonstrated an exceptional commitment to mentoring public servants in non-partisan public policy tradition. Likely awardee(s) will be students with an interest in state government, public policy, and public finance issues. There are no declared major or minor disciplinary requirements for application. All scholarships are merit-based scholarships.
- Scholarship recipient will serve as a policy intern with a fiscal or policy oriented state office. The student may propose another location for the internship if he or she has obtained one their own;
- Scholarship recipient shall be enrolled in a Central Texas area college or university. “Central Texas” shall be inclusive of the Greater Austin area and includes higher educational entities within 75 miles of the State Capitol; and
- Scholarship funds will be used for tuition, books, and related educational expenses. Funds will be paid directly to the college or university on the student’s behalf.
Applications should include:
- a resume reflecting academic, professional, and personal achievement;
- two written letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional sources; and
- a one-page cover letter with a brief description of the planned internship and a brief statement by the applicant about their public policy interests.
Applications will be reviewed by the scholarship selection committee, and finalists will be invited to an interview. Please send applications before November 1, 2020, deadline to email@example.com
Please call (512) 423-0696 with any questions.