The Communications Specialist reports to the Program Manager, Public Relations, and provides overarching support to the PR team. Responsibilities include daily media clips report development/distribution; PR Office email account and phone line management; and monthly metrics reporting. Coordinates reporter routing, vendor coordination, media list management and on-call scheduling. Assists PR team colleagues with media projects, as needed. Works with collaborative, remote-based team of health care PR experts.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate professionalism in spoken and written communication, drive, and eagerness to learn.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
PR team support
- Assists PR team members with broad range of projects, including media and publications assignments, as needed.
- Responsible for monitoring PR Office phone line and email box.
- Must be able to multi-task with efficiency to connect PR team members with media, as appropriate.
- Exercise judgment and discretion in dealing with the media.
- Coordinates department procedures, including meeting coordination and on-call scheduling.
- Works closely with Senior Communications Specialists to ensure consistency with efforts.
Materials distribution and monitoring
- With oversight from Program Manager, manages daily media clips report distributed to senior leaders, others in the institution and external key stakeholders.
- Assists PR team members in distributing content through varies channels, keeping creative assets in mind and ensuring correct tagging.
- Supports news release distribution process and tracking.
- Understands and continues learning about systems available to PR team and informs others of ways to optimize efforts.
- Manages media lists, updating regularly and considering areas for expansion.
- Monitors digital performance and assists team with producing improved results .
Reporting and analysis
- Manage media tracking programs and assists team members in developing reports for client and leadership.
- Work with Institutional Affairs colleagues and PR agency to ensure reporting accuracy and opportunities for improvements.
- Produce monthly metric reports to be uploaded to the dashboard and shared with the PR team.
Required: Bachelor’s degree with major in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or related field.
Preferred: Master’s degree.
Required: Two years of experience in Public Relations, communications, writing/editing or related field. With preferred degree, no experience required.
Writing Skills Assessment
Required: Must pass pre-employment skills test as required and administered by Human Resources.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 147066
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Hard
- Work Location: Hybrid Onsite/Remote
- Pivotal Position: No
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 54,500
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 68,000
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 81,500
- Science Jobs: No