Substitute Teacher at Wayside Schools
ABOUT WAYSIDE SCHOOLS: Wayside Schools is an open-enrollment, tuition-free Pre-K3-12th grade public charter school network that provides over 2,200 scholars across its three South Austin campuses with a rigorous International Baccalaureate education. Since 2012, Wayside schools has striven to empower historically underserved scholars, providing them with the instructional experiences, academics skills, intellectual habits and social and emotional competencies needed to become graduates from four-year colleges and universities, providing them with the access and opportunities they need to narrate their own futures and positively impact and empower the families and communities to which they belong.
In the absence of the regular classroom teacher to help students to learn subject matter and/or skills that are required for scheduled lessons and to provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms.
- Reports to school office at beginning of school day to report for duty. Follows sign out procedures as prescribed by the principal.
- Carries out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plans left by the classroom teacher.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom. Straightens chairs, tables, clears chalkboard, etc.
- Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
- Indicates to students at beginning of class the basic expectations for behavior in the class in accordance with school and Wayside Schools policies.
- Insures that the students are never left unattended in the classroom.
- May perform duties usually required of absent teacher such as lunchroom duty, hall monitoring, etc.
- Knows emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned.
- Knows procedures for referring students who are disciplinary problems.
- Knows school procedures and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as directed by principal.
Physical Effort and Work Environment:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light to heavy manual labor
- Endure possible inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
- Able to follow instructions and complete tasks efficiently
- Physically able to perform duties assigned at sufficient speed
Personal Work Relationships:
- It is expected that less experienced candidates will receive additional guidance on instructional matters and that those with more experience will serve as mentors, providing suggestions, guidance, and assistance as appropriate or necessary
- Supervisor may provide detailed instruction regarding changes in policies, procedures, or laws or in reference to unusual circumstances or problems
- Candidate has significant contact with scholars, parents, and other school staff to provide instruction, offer guidance, and exchange information
- Candidate may also maintain contacts within the community, contracted service providers and/or vendors