- Reports to school office at beginning of school day to report for duty. Follows sign out procedures as prescribed by the principal.
- Carries out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plans left by the classroom teacher.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom. Straightens chairs, tables, clears chalkboard, etc.
- Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
- Indicates to students at beginning of class the basic expectations for behavior in the class in accordance with school and Wayside Schools policies.
- Insures that the students are never left unattended in the classroom.
- May perform duties usually required of absent teacher such as lunchroom duty, hall monitoring, etc.
- Knows emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned.
- Knows procedures for referring students who are disciplinary problems.
- Knows school procedures and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as directed by principal.
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light to heavy manual labor
- Endure possible inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
- Able to follow instructions and complete tasks efficiently
- Physically able to perform duties assigned at sufficient speed
- It is expected that less experienced candidates will receive additional guidance on instructional matters and that those with more experience will serve as mentors, providing suggestions, guidance, and assistance as appropriate or necessary
- Supervisor may provide detailed instruction regarding changes in policies, procedures, or laws or in reference to unusual circumstances or problems
- Candidate has significant contact with scholars, parents, and other school staff to provide instruction, offer guidance, and exchange information
- Candidate may also maintain contacts within the community, contracted service providers and/or vendors
Wayside Schools is an open-enrollment, tuition-free PreK3-12 public charter school district that provides over 2,000 students across its four South Austin campuses with an International Baccalaureate (IB) education. The district is made up of three elementary schools and one secondary school. Its mission is to prepare students to be college ready, community engaged, global citizens through a rigorous, community-enriched education guided by the IB curriculum and personalized instruction.