SEU Work-Study: Women’s Storybook Project of Texas – Intern
Department: Volunteer Services
Positions Available: 1 for full academic year
Pay Range: $9.75-$10.75, commensurate with experience
Women’s Storybook Project of Texas’ (WSP) mission is to connect children with their incarcerated mothers through the joy of literature. We help incarcerated mothers maintain contact with and bring comfort to their children. Mothers record stories and messages of love for their children so the children can hear their mother’s voice and know that they are loved.
WSP is seeking an intern interested in building a brighter future for the children of incarcerated mothers across Texas and the U.S. by helping us coordinate the work of our 250 volunteers. Our goal is excellent volunteer organization and communication. Our Volunteer Coordination Intern will gain experience in a variety of tasks including: outreach, recruiting, scheduling, thanking and supervising volunteers.
WSP seeks a part time Volunteer Coordination Intern with highly developed organizational skills, time management, and an inquisitive nature. Interns work 10-12 hours per week under the supervision of our Volunteer Manager.
You will be part of a team shaping Women’s Storybook Project’s outreach strategy for 2021. A primary task will be to schedule and supervise volunteer shifts and identify individuals and groups with affinity for our mission. We have program, in office and remote volunteer opportunities. This experience will be highly transferable to a professional work environment.
· Schedule regular volunteer opportunities and special events through Signup.com
· Create calendars and volunteers’ signups for specific events
· Coordinate with volunteer groups to investigate options for participation.
· Supervise in-office volunteers when scheduled.
· Contribute to WSP newsletter and Social Media re: volunteer experience.
· Communicate regularly with volunteers about opportunities and events and respond promptly to questions or concerns.
· Take on additional tasks as assigned.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Proficiency with spreadsheets, databases, Microsoft Office. Familiarity with Signup.com a plus. (training available)
· Ability to manage time and track multiple volunteer shifts per month.
· Minimum two years related experience; nonprofit experience a plus.
· Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a dynamic work environment.
· Strong attention to detail and ability to work as a team member with minimal supervision.
· Be passionate about our mission.
· Work, volunteer experience, and/or coursework in Business, English, Communications, Non-Profit Studies, or similar discipline.
· Have superior organizational and communication skills.
· Must be familiar with Microsoft Office and Social Media