How you will contribute to our purpose:
The Y’s purpose is to strengthen the community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance to help children, youth, and adults of all ages reach their potential, you’ll be making a huge difference in your community as well.
YMCA Youth & Government (YG) is a statewide civic education and leadership program in which schools, civic organizations, and Ys involve kids in hands-on learning experiences. Students meet regularly as a club during the fall semester. Each club consists of participating students and an adult sponsor and is guided by YMCA staff and volunteers. Students choose to participate in one of four areas: legislative, judicial, media, or state affairs forum. Area clubs begin meeting during the fall school semester. In November, clubs compete at District Conference, and the top individuals and teams advance to the State Conference in January.
The Public Relations Intern will assist the State Director and Director of Grants in a variety of YG Program tasks which include pre-conference planning and additional grant-related projects such as assisting with researching grant prospects, cultivating foundations, and reporting.
What you will learn?
Special Events – VIP Luncheon & State Conference: Help with details of special events, which include but are not limited to:
- Making follow up phone calls leading up to the event
- Writing thank you notes after events
- Sending out emails to volunteers
- Gather supplies as needed for each event
- Help coordinate other volunteers to sign up to help with events
Program Administration: Help with details of Administration, which include but are not limited to:
- Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
- Process outgoing mail/email for invites, event, and program communication
- Operate office machines, filing, database entry, and other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the purpose:
- Education and Experience: You possess an interest and aptitude to work in non-profit management, fundraising, or other related fields. You are proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience with database management is a plus. You are a minimum of 18 – years old and have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Inclusion: You work effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions.
- Teamwork: You are a team player with a positive, service-oriented attitude and you can work well with others.
- Organized and Productive: You are organized, able to prioritize tasks, and handle multiple assignments.
- Strong Communicator: You listen for understanding and meaning. You speak and write effectively.
What are the Internship Perks:
- You will receive a FREE membership to all YMCAs of Austin (over $600.00/year value).
- You will have the opportunity to work on a flexible schedule. This means you will work a combination of days at the business office and remotely.
- You will be able to enjoy your weekends!
- You will build real-world experience in program operations and grant writing.
- You will gain experience working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, and team.
- You will have the opportunity to attend a business meeting and virtual networking events.
- You will be able to shadow and train with experienced nonprofit professionals.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.